As we have more and more practices our format becomes a bit more refined each time. Coach and manager roles are starting to crystallize. Team and personal dynamics are beginning to shine thru. Athletes are starting to get it and it is pretty exciting.
While we have 2 different types of practices, skill and trail ride (endurance) they all generally have the same flow.
- everyone gathers up, light conversation
- group hits critical mass, practice begins
- team managers and coaches say a few things
- start with safetey checks (water, helmets, etc...) and ABCs of bike maintenance (Air, Brakes, Chain)
- we start with an educational topic for the athletes, like hydration, and talk briefly about it. We'll continue to talk about it all throughout the practice
- we jump on the bike and start shredding!
- for skills based practice, we'll do a number of different purposed-based drills for 30 to 45 minutes. Then we'll transition to a Circuit Loop with lots of coach instruction if not a 1-1 coach-to-athete pairing (when available). For a trail ride practice, we'll ride 8 to 10 miles and start/stop with instruction along the way when appropriate
- we finish the practice with some administrative items, talk of upcoming events and Q&A
To give you some insight into how and where we've conducted one of our most successful skills-based practices, below you'll find an embedded Strava record of the activity and some pictures of the practice. What you can't exactly see in the map below is both a skills area and a circuit loop. We're finding that a small hyper-local park like Baederwood Park in Abington is a perfect location for a practice for us!
Check it out. Are you ready to shred with us? Email us at info at somontcycling dot org if you want to learn more about our team!
Coach Dan talking about the importance of hydration
Coach Thuong overseeing a carry-over drill
Collin charging over the obstacle
Ethan from an interesting perspective
Coach John and Coach Thuong talking thru the ATTACK POSITION during a small downhill of the Circuit Loop