SoMont Newsletter for Sunday July 16
Breaking news! Official team jersey and SoMont Fan Gear online stores are going live this week. Be on the lookout for an email within the next few days.
We had a GREAT first week of practices. We loved seeing our returning riders and coaches, meeting the new student-athletes and families and seeing lots of smiling faces!
Our goal is to make sure all families know what is going on within SoMont so you will be getting weekly updates and reminders via email. They will typically come out on Sundays. Please reach out with any questions.
A few things we noticed:
- Many student-athletes did not bring enough water. It’s HOT! Hydration is super important. Please make sure to have plenty of water. One water bottle often isn’t enough during these hot summer practices.
- We need parents/guardians to meet their student athletes in the parking lot at the end of practice. Student athletes should not be leaving the parking lot on their own to ride home.
- Check your bike before coming to practice (air in tires, brakes working, chain lubed and not stretched out). At a minimum, every rider should carry a tube that fits their tire in case of a flat.
- Thank you for responding for events in Team Snap. It makes things run smoothly when we know who to expect. PLEASE KEEP THIS UP! This week’s schedule includes THREE practices - Tuesday from 6-8, Thursday from 6-8 and Saturday from 9-11. All practices this week (7/18 - 7/22) will be at Lorimer Park. Next week we will be practicing at Twining Valley Park to prepare for our first Local Dirt that we are hosting. Always check Team Snap for locations as we will make sure the events are updated there.
The MTB Rider Cup at Twining Valley Park is scheduled for Sunday, August 13th. Mark your calendars now and update your availability in Team Snap. We would LOVE to see every SoMont rider attend this event if possible. Specific information regarding times, etc will come later.
On Thursday, 7/20 we will also be hosting a New Family Meeting and Gear Swap during practice time. We will be discussing the events for the season, what to expect and volunteer opportunities. Please plan to attend. Returning families are welcome to attend as well. Many of us have extra gear around that we don’t use. Let’s give that gear a good home.
Appropriate items to bring:
- lightly used cycling jerseys
- used equipment like saddle bags
- cycling shoes
- extra water bottles
- Camelbaks/hydration packs
- SoMont supporter gears (t-shirts, hoodies, hats) that you have outgrown
Inappropriate items to bring
- Used chamois
- Broken bike parts
- Cycling shoes that are worn out and unsafe
- Anything unsafe